Blake Chandlee presented a keynote during AdTech about its Facebook business model and on how to engage brands / consumers
The mechanisms seem simple:
- there are more passive users than active users: these active users will be the brands’ flagships
- thanks to a giga dataming, Facebook will link the most relevant ads through the more relevant communities, floating on the social graph, based on active users results
- Facebook will implement these ads in people life-stream, in the same manner as they know who tagged who, who is now in a relationship etc.
But many things drove me crazy:
- advertising is not natural: you’re not going to risk all the time your reputation in making your friends get involve in all the ads you like
- it’s supra intrusive to diffuse fan-pages or other indirect ads in the middle of people interactions: that’s not ENGAGEMENT
- the most active users on Facebook are not stupid
- what about the rest of the social web?